Truckin'


Truckin’

The last 100 days in Boudha, as I approach the end of my first semester of study at Rangjung Yeshe and first time in Nepal, remind me of that line from the Grateful Dead song Truckin’:  Sometimes the lights all shinin’ on me, other times I can barely see. But lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.



Such an odd choice of adjectives and perhaps song lyrics isn’t to convey a lack of enjoyment or signal discontentment, don’t get me wrong. The learning has been tremendous. Just that lessons have coalesced, spontaneously and unexpectedly across my windshield. I hope I don’t miss my turning.
I decided three years ago I wanted to study Buddhism and I still think my understanding of the subtle and profound Dharma is basic and contrived. But the last three months have felt like I’m heading somewhere. I can’t explain why, but it’s a feeling I have.




A friend here at RYI, who’s wiser than I will ever be, over beers casually remarked that he’s always grateful for intense, all absorbing experiences for they provide opportunities for purification, and I’ve ever since been thinking about his words.
The truth is Rangjung Yeshe and Nepal and the Stupa have gifted me with multiple moments of purification, and I’m still wrapping my head around how deep the lessons go. Along the way, I also have had the good luck of meeting the most considerate, compassionate and sweet people all in one place and I’ll always be indebted to them.



~ Utkarsh from India

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pharping – The Sacred Site of Asura Cave and Yangleshö

The Five Best Restaurants in Bouddha for Shedra Students

The Hidden Story of the Golden Temple at Patan