Best of Studying in Nepal

 Pale sunrise in Boudhanath from my rooftop

I came to Nepal for the first time in 2013, when I started my studies at RYI. At that time, I was quite overwhelmed by everything, without any knowledge of Buddhism and university studies as I was. 

During that first year, it was difficult for me to have fun while studying. I definitely did not appreciate all the things I learned here, and I was terribly lazy. But now I know better! So, I would like to share a few things that I have learned to appreciate while studying here at RYI.

The first thing is to really appreciate the whole process of studying. Maybe it is only me, but I still feel the same childish excitement when I study Tibetan and realize that I understand what I am reading, even if it´s only a simple sentence. I am still overwhelmed by the fact that I can read and (sometimes) understand Tibetan. Often, when I sit up at night, translating for class, I think about this. It is a very, very nice feeling.

I also like to think about how fortunate I am, we all are, who get to study Buddhism in a place like Nepal. Nepal is such a one of a kind place. Knowing this makes me appreciate studying here a lot sometimes. Like yesterday. I woke up early to admire a pale sunrise from my own rooftop. I was fortunate enough to get to listen to a wonderful, wonderful teaching on emptiness and devotion. Then I came home to discover that a part of my bathroom wall had essentially exploded, spraying water all over the place. Amazing. All in one day ☺

~ Rebecca from Sweden

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pharping – The Sacred Site of Asura Cave and Yangleshö

The Five Best Restaurants in Bouddha for Shedra Students

The Hidden Story of the Golden Temple at Patan