Buddha's Words


I try to keep in mind that when the Buddha attained realization he sat in the forest, unwinking and alone, hesitant to explain what he had discovered. And I try to keep in mind that despite his silence, perhaps the Buddha did teach this nectar-like dharma having attained enlightenment, expounding effortlessly the natural of his realization; and his consolation to his disciples at the time of his passing that in the times to come, he would appear as the very words of dharma, in that each letter would be a embodiment of himself, and, also, his warning that if anyone were to see his body or hear his teachings, they would not have truly met him.
The dharma is described to be simplicity beyond words and form and a vastness that encompasses it all; a reality and experience far too uncomplicated and far too complex to think of approaching intellectually. Yet, the Buddha did teach his profound realization, and with unworldly compassion and insight he and his disciples joyfully took up the project of explaining the truth of the path. With it, monasteries were constructed, masses enrobed and encouraged, hermitages settled and households enriched by these teachings he, the Buddha, had no words for at first. No sign or gesture, word or phrase could or would ever express it, yet the Four Truths were taught and the precious wheel was spun with the inertia of blessings and faith.
I feel I have little to say concerning my studies. As can be clearly seen, these teachings are transmitted in a way that lends itself to a harmonious paradox, an ultimate conclusion beyond concept, yet nested in the familiarity of word and action. A couple years have passed and I am feeling at home in this environment. Despite our common struggles, I feel a mutual zeal of aspiration to truly benefit from what is being taught in this wonderful shedra, a quality rare and precious. Unfortunately, I am not without affliction and furthermore find pride and jealousy await my every success and failure; a sad situation I am hoping can be remedied and put to rest. Nonetheless, I feel so fortunate and have great appreciation for my teachers and fellow classmates — those who have strived to have me engage with these teachings. The compassion required to support us students is overwhelming, it will be a close to impossible task of repaying such kindness.
Of course, it is my wish to progress and come to a deep and thorough understanding of these teachings, an aspiration far too vast for a single lifetime, but perhaps possible by way of experiencing its profundity. I am encouraged to continue and happily await what is to come.


~ Kaleb from USA

Comments

student said…
Great article. Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

Pharping – The Sacred Site of Asura Cave and Yangleshö

The Five Best Restaurants in Bouddha for Shedra Students

The Hidden Story of the Golden Temple at Patan