Why Choose RYI: My Experience at RYI


With friends right after the Philosophy class
Sometimes in life you feel like you know something but you fail to express it with a reason when the time comes for you to explain. That happens to me with Buddhism. Being born and raised up in a Buddhist family I used to take certain things for granted but I realized that I do not really know the reason behind them. 
For example: Why are there five colors on prayer flags? What is important about taking refuge? 
Just to mention few. 

My interest in Buddhist teachings arises from when I studied at Shree Mangal Dvip Boarding School founded by Venerable Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche. My interest in Buddhism started to grow bigger and bigger with the pass of time.  However, I wanted to study more and I found RYI to be the best place for me because the answer to my confusion can be solved here. I believe study is very important in order to practice and contemplate Buddha Dharma authentically. 


With friends in Nagi Gompa
With the generous and kind help of the Khyentse Foundation and Rangjung Yeshe Institute I got the South Asia and Himalaya Scholarship which really helps me to study here. Even though, some of the courses are challenging for me because of English language, I am able to overcome these challenges gradually because of amazing teachers who are so dedicated to their students and my wonderful friends as well. I get to see them individually out of the class and the best thing is when I get to see our writing coach Jo who has made life at RYI meaningful. 


With friends during Anthropology tour to Swayambhunath

In addition to that it’s wonderful to study with friends who are from all over the world. I find that all my friends at RYI are so warm hearted and caring. Talking to friends during recess at our beautiful RYI café and having coffee with them and studying together is lovely. Most important is to be able to hear the teachings of Choekyi Nyima Rinpoche every Saturday, which is so precious. I enjoy every moment at RYI and I am so glad that I made the decision to study here.


My village, Nubri


~ Lhakpa from Nepal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pharping – The Sacred Site of Asura Cave and Yangleshö

The Five Best Restaurants in Bouddha for Shedra Students

The Hidden Story of the Golden Temple at Patan