Nagi Gompa




Every time a semester ends at RYI, I feel especially joyous. One reason is that I have a sense of strength in my abilities to survive one more semester with its exams and to learn many profound key points of Buddhist philosophy and practice. Another reason is that I get to reward myself with some free time to spend either in Nagi Gompa or Asura hermitage. These two holy places have become my prominent get away from hussle-bustle of the city. Having these two getaways has been a key part of my experience in Nepal the last six years.

The first time I came up to Nagi Gompa to attend Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche’s retreat I completely fell in love with the beautiful scenery, warm atmosphere and of course the amazing nuns. Above Nagi Gompa is Shivapuri peak, an important place of pilgrimage for Buddhists, because Kashyapa the previous Buddha visited the high top of the mountain where he cut his hair as a sign of renouncing the worldly life. But also Nagi gompa is saturated with Tulku
Urgyen’s blessings. One of the most revered and highly accomplished masters of the last century, Tulku Urgyen chose to spend many years in the nunnery, dedicating himself to practice. It is still possible to feel Rinpoche’s blessings while meditating in the room where he stayed for about nine years in retreat. In the last few years the presence of Rinpoche has become even more acute, since
Tulku Urgyen’s reincarnation is living and studying at the hermitage. 
Likewise, many nuns themselves are quite accomplished practitioners; from among the hundred Nagi Gompa nuns about fifty have completed the traditional three-year
retreat. Nagi Gompa has become my spiritual home, and the community of nuns my heart family. 

I hope all students—new and old—will take the time to visit these inspiring sacred places.




~Anya from Russia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pharping – The Sacred Site of Asura Cave and Yangleshö

The Five Best Restaurants in Bouddha for Shedra Students

The Hidden Story of the Golden Temple at Patan