Rangjung Yeshe Institute- “The right place for me”


I was brought up in Assam, India. I think myself to be very fortunate to be born in a Sherpa community where our religion is Buddhism. But during my stay in India, I never had the opportunity to come in contact with the actual meanings of the teachings of Buddhism. At home, we used to offer water to Buddha and different deties without knowing the exact purpose of it. We were doing it because our grandparents used to, and now so do we. My parents were not much educated and so we never had a discussion on the meaning of Dharma. They only did the rituals that they had learned from their parents.

When I first came to Nepal from India in the year 1994, I came in contact with my cousin brother, Phuri Sherpa, who guided me by providing me books on Buddhism. Slowly I started reading them, then I came to realize that we should give our precious human life for the study of dharma. I also had the opportunity to receive empowerments from different Rinpoches. I joined a school, Shanti Vidyalaya, Boudha where Tibetan scripture was taught. After going there for 3 months, I was able to chant daily prayers. The difficulty was that I could not understand the meanings.


I had deep interest in my mind to know the meanings which will help in practice. I had the opportunity to receive teachings on Kunzang Lama’i Shelung ( The Words of my Perfect Teacher) from Khenchen Namdrol Rinpoche in Pharping, Nepal. The teachings were in Tibetan and my cousin brother, Phuri Sherpa who was a monk translated it into Nepali and the teachings proved to be very beneficial for me. I learned the various reasons and conditions of human life and mainly on cause and effect doctrine and the process of purifications. It is also known that it is only in human life that we can practice dharma, and it very rare to be born as a human being. Khenchen Namdrol Rinpoche advised me to learn Tibetan so that it would be easy to follow the teachings more precisely.

I was looking for the ways to learn and I came to know about Centre for Buddhist Studies at Ranjung Yeshe Institute. I visited the websites and found it to be the right place for me. I enrolled as a student of RYI in September 2007 in the BA program. My study in RYI as a first year student was very fruitful. Now I am in a position to read, understand and speak a little bit of Tibetan. The teachings that we receive are very satisfactory. I will try my best to acquire as much knowledge as I can in every field.


I am very thankful to RYI for providing such an excellent opportunity whereby my wishes to learn dharma precisely and put into practice will be fulfilled in near future. I have also found that we really need to work hard for better results.

I would like to thank from the core of my heart to Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche and all faculty members and the people who helped in establishing RYI. I wish RYI benefit more and more people who are interested in learning dharma for the benefit of oneself and for sentient beings.

~ Maya Lama from Nepal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pharping – The Sacred Site of Asura Cave and Yangleshö

The Five Best Restaurants in Bouddha for Shedra Students

The Hidden Story of the Golden Temple at Patan